Week 2 Blog

 Model for Change

The model that aligns most closely with my school is the learning community model by Williams et al. (2008). This model focuses on collaboration and shared leadership, in which teachers learn from one another and work together to improve instruction. This also supports the idea that real change is not about adding more technology, but improving how we use what we already have (Microsoft Corporation, 2014).

Expanding Technology in Our School

At my school, we are in a really good place with technology. We are a 1:1 Chromebook school, most teachers have Smart Boards and document cameras, and we offer robotics, STEM, and digital literacy classes. The problem is not access; it’s how consistently and intentionally we are using it. Right now, technology can feel like something extra, and I think we need to change that mindset. Technology should be part of everyday learning because that is how our world works now. 

From the reading by Williams et al. (2008), one thing that really stood out to me was that technology integration must start with leadership and effective teaching, not with the technology itself. Technology does not automatically increase learning; it only works when paired with strong teaching practices such as inquiry and problem-solving.

Learning Together and Building Capacity

I would use the time we already have, like professional development and PLCs, to help teachers shift the way they use technology. Instead of long training sessions, I would focus on small, practical ideas that teachers can use right away. I believe with a plan and expectation, the shift will be smooth and proficient. 

Williams et al. (2008) also emphasized that teachers need not be technology experts. It is okay to learn alongside students. Creating a supportive environment where teachers can collaborate and share ideas will help build confidence and consistency across classrooms.

Stakeholders and Building the Plan

I would involve as many stakeholders as possible while building a technology plan. This would include administrators (superintendent, principal, and head of IT), teachers from all grade levels, STEM and technology teachers, paraprofessionals, students, and parents.

I would also conduct a survey to understand how the stakeholders are currently using technology, what they believe its purpose should be, and what support they need. Including all voices helps ensure we are not just focusing on access but also on how students are actually using technology and what skills they are developing.

Aligning Technology to What We Already Do

I do not think we need to reinvent everything. We already use tools like Google Classroom, Google Forms, and Study Island. Instead of adding more, we should build on what we already have and align technology with what we are already doing. Our school has had conversations about using technology as an enhancement, not a replacement, but those conversations need to continue. We need to regularly revisit how we integrate technology and ensure it is used meaningfully. Technology should not feel like it's a separate tool. It should be naturally embedded into lessons and students' work.  Frameworks such as SAMR and TPACK help guide this by showing how technology can move beyond simple substitution and transform learning.


Outcomes and Feedback

When looking at outcomes, I would focus on how technology is being used, not just how often. Based on research on the digital divide, access is not the main issue. The bigger issue is ensuring students use technology for deeper learning, such as creating, problem-solving, and critical thinking.

The Falloon (2020) framework also highlights the importance of digital citizenship and responsible use of technology. For feedback, I would use Google Forms at the beginning and throughout the implementation of the technology plan. This makes it a smooth and simple check-in to see what is working and what needs adjustment.



References

Falloon, G. (2020). From digital literacy to digital competence: The teacher digital competency (TDC) framework. Educational Technology Research and Development, 68(5), 2449–2472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-020-09767-4⁠

Microsoft Corporation. (2014). Education transformation framework overview. Microsoft.

Williams, L. A., Atkinson, L. C., Cate, J. M., & O’Hair, M. J. (2008). Mutual support between learning community development and technology integration: Impact on school practices and student achievement. Theory Into Practice, 47(4), 294–302.

I used ChatGPT to organize my ideas and Grammarly to help edit.


Comments

  1. Hi Jamie, nice response. I particularly liked how you highlighting the problem is not access but consistency and intentionality. I think that is an issue in most school buildings and think that a big part of that is lack of teacher understanding of WHY we are using technology. Your alignment to the readings from Williams, et. al (2008) was spot on. Technology doesn't need to automatically have experts, even though some are going to be needed for troubleshooting, teachers and students can learn together which I also think would help strengthen technology goals in a classroom community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I've seen a theme with a number of posts that focus on the idea of aligning technology with the work that teachers are already doing in the classroom. This naturally feels like the most effective approach, building upon established practices and supporting teachers in expanding the work they are already doing. I like that you mention a focus on collaboration and shared leadership. Establishing this sort of buy-in and ownership provides so many benefits for the entire district.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,

    The digital divide at my school is also a digital use divide. Our students have 1:1 access and our teachers have smart boards and hovercams. Our problem also stems from the implementation and consistency across the district for technology. Using already allotted time for PD will help not waste instructional time. Using time like PLC's is helpful because I believe it is easier to understand anything in a smaller group setting. I really enjoyed your take on the readings and feel like it aligns with my own take. Technology should increase active learning and not just be another way for students to passively learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Blog

Week 3 Blog